On August 1, 2023, Penn State hosted the Turf and Ornamental Field Day. Field Day is our chance to show you the results of turfgrass research designed for golf course superintendents, sports turf managers, and lawn care operators; and provide tours and hands-on demonstrations for landscapers, nursery operators, and others interested in ornamental horticulture.
Thank you to all of our speakers, sponsors, and suppliers that helped to make the day a success!
Featured topics and speakers:
- Precision Turf Sprayers – Reid Mitchell
- 2023 Granular Fertilizer Evaluation – M.J. Schlossberg, Ph.D.
- Dollar Spot Study on Bentgrass Fairway – Kabita Shah
- Non-Target Effects of Insect Growth Regulators on Soil Arthropods – Stokes Aker
- Insecticide Resistance of ABW – Garrett Price
- Effects of Soil Moisture on Annual Bluegrass Weevil Egg-Laying, Larvae Survival and Annual Bluegrass Preference – Rowda Altamimi
- Evaluation of Poa annua and Agrostis stolonifera Host Plant Defense Mechanisms in Response to Annual Bluegrass Weevil (Listronotus maculicollis) Herbivory – Audrey Simard
- Anthracnose Basal Rot Study on Annual Bluegrass Putting Green - John Kaminski, Ph.D.
- Machine Learning-Based Prediction Model for Brown Patch Disease – Fereshteh (Angel) Shahoveisi, Ph.D.
- Pythium Blight Study on Perennial Ryegrass - John Kaminski, Ph.D.
- Gray Leaf Spot Study on Perennial Ryegrass - John Kaminski, Ph.D.
- Dollar Spot Resistant Cultivars - John Kaminski, Ph.D.
- Autonomous Mowing Strategies to Reduce Dollar Spot - John Kaminski, Ph.D.
- Is Bermudagrass a Viable Turfgrass Species in PA? - Tanner Delvalle
- Sports Turf Evaluation - Warm & Cool Season Grasses – Tom Serensits
- Herbicides for Weed Control in Infrequently Mowed Fine Fescues - Peter Landschoot, Ph.D.
- White Grubs, Caterpillar, and Chinch Bug Update for Home Lawns and Sports Fields - Ben McGraw, Ph.D.
- Controlling Difficult Weeds – Tanner Delvalle
- Pre and Post Emergent Control of Crabgrass – Timothy Lulis
- Post Emergent Control of Broadleaf Weeds – Timothy Lulis
- The Irrigation Audit: Our valuable tool for economical, sustainable, and environmentally friendly water use – Brad Jakubowski
- Personal Protective Equipment Review - Genevieve Christ
Thank you to all of our Field Day Sponsors!
Ceres Turf Inc.
Lawn and Golf Supply Company, Inc.
Tiny Mobile Robots