Pennsylvania Turfgrass Research, Inc
Welcome to the
Pennsylvania Turfgrass Research, Inc.
Pennsylvania Turfgrass Research, Inc. (PTRI) is a volunteer directed organization that solicits contributions which are used to improve the turfgrass industry through support of research and education at Penn State University. Penn State’s Center for Turfgrass Scienceis recognized world-wide for its leadership in the field and is a vital resource for everyone who values attractive and well maintained turfgrass.
Founded by the Pennsylvania Turfgrass Council (PTC) in 2004, the tax-exempt status of PTRI as a 501.c.3 organization created a vehicle to solicit tax-deductible contributions to improve turfgrass by supporting development of new techniques and products and to train the next generation of turfgrass managers. The five-year “Growing the Game” fund-raising campaign conducted by PTRI received support from Penn State alumni, golf course owners and managers, avid golfers, companies that serve and support the golfing industry, and other people who enjoy lawns, athletic fields and environmentally friendly landscapes.
In 2010 the Growing the Game campaign culminated with the creation of the PA Turf Research Innovation Fund, a $300,000 endowment to Penn State. The fund will provide critical financial support for faculty and students to seek and enhance research for current turf industry plights and to stimulate healthy intellectual ideas through a competitive proposal process.
With the official campaign now closed, watch for PTRI to supply other opportunities to support their goals through targeted fund-raising activities such as high quality golf tournaments. However, if you wish to help build the PA Turf Research Innovation Fund through a tax deductible personal contribution you can send a gift directly to Penn State in support of the PTRI Fund to the following address:
Penn State University
PA Turf Research Innovation Fund
240 Agricultural Administration Building
University Park, PA 16802
Additionally, you can visit giveto.psu.edu and follow the instructions for ways to make a secure gift online. When doing so, please be sure to earmark your gifts in support of the PTRI Fund.
Through PTRI and Its Generous Donors, Penn State Can Continue Its Efforts to:
- Improve turfgrass quality, property values, and aesthetics by developing and evaluating products, applications and turf varieties to better resist weeds, insects, and stresses. Penn State turfgrass varieties are the most widely used seed on golf courses worldwide.
- Develop more environmentally friendly methods of maintaining turfgrass, using less water and reducing the use of chemicals and other materials.
- Ensure the highest quality, safest turfgrass for the recreational enjoyment of golfers and athletic field users such as soccer, football and baseball players.
- Offer vendors research to evaluate and create new products and recognition of their support to better market their goods and services.
- Control turfgrass maintenance costs through new research and expanded extension services.
- Attract and train young people as a resource for Pennsylvania golf clubs, athletic fields, landscape companies and suppliers.
- Strengthen Penn State as a national resource for the turfgrass industry.
Pennsylvania Turfgrass Research Trust, Inc.
2011 Board of Trustees
Chair: Jerred D. Golden, CGCS
Hersheys Mill Golf Club & Landscape Co.
West Chester, PA
Vice Chair: Ronald Moehler
Vance Wright Adams & Assoc.,
Secretary-Treasurer: Mark D. Kuhns, CGCS
Baltusrol Golf Club
Area Sales Manager at Bayer CropScience
521 Hillcrest Place
Pittsburgh, PA 15216
Penn State University
University Park, PA
Thomas R. Bettle
Turfgrass Research Facilities Manager
Merion Golf Club
John A. Chassard
Lehigh Country Club
Terra Links Specialized Golf Courses
399 Diamond Road
Grove City, PA 16127
For additional information about PTRI or to learn how you can lend your support, contact PTRI at firstname.lastname@example.org